History

cropped-065-1.jpgThe Church of St Margaret on Galiano Island wasn’t consecrated until 1955, although from 1896 to 1913 Galiano Island was served by a local Chaplain, who also served the hospital, and jail in nearby Victoria, on Vancouver Island.

The Chaplain retired to Mayne Island in 1904, and ministered in the area unofficially until 1913, when the Gulf Islands Parish was first organized.  The parish at that time included Mayne, Galiano and the Pender Islands.
In 1943, the Gulf Islands Parish was affiliated with St. Martin-in-the-Fields Parish in nearby Victoria. In 1947, the Gulf Islands Parish was separated into ‘Galiano and Mayne Island’ and ‘Pender Islands’ parishes, which once again merged in 1951. The Church of St. Margaret of Scotland was operational sometime in 1952, and officially consecrated on June 22, 1955.

In 1961 the Gulf Islands Parish was once again divided, but Galiano, Mayne and Pender Islands were re-amalgamated in 1970, while Saturna became independent. In 1978 the Pender Islands were separated from Galiano and Mayne. 

From 1984 Galiano and Mayne were served by resident priests. In 1986 the rectory of St. Margaret of Scotland church was sold, but the property was retained. Since 1997 the parish has been paired with St. Mary Magdalene, on Mayne Island.